Vettel loses second place after illegal overtaking move at Hockenheim
By Berthold Bouman
German Sebastian Vettel has been handed a post-race drive-through penalty for his overtaking move this afternoon at the Hockenheim circuit. Just two laps before the end of the race, Vettel overtook his opponent Jenson Button to take second place, but the FIA Stewards have deemed his overtaking manoeuvre was illegal. When he overtook Button, Vettel’s car left the track with all four wheels, which is not allowed.
An official FIA document labelled Vettel’s overtaking move a breach of the Sporting Regulations, “Car 1 left the track and gained an advantage when he rejoined. Breach of Article 20.2 of the FIA Formula One Sporting Regulations.”
The document also described the penalty, “Drive Through Penalty, imposed after the race in accordance with Article 16.3 (20 seconds added to the elapsed race time)”
This means Vettel is demoted to fifth place, while the others move up one place, Alonso is of course still first, Button is now second, Kimi Raikkonen scored another podium with third place and Kamui Kobayashi is now fourth.
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)