All the Formula One news

Adrian Sutil rejoins Force India team to complete 2013 line-up


By Berthold Bouman

Adrian Sutil rejoins Force India team to complete 2013 line-up - Photo: Force IndiaAdrian Sutil rejoins Force India to complete the team’s 2013 driver line-up, Sutil was ousted from the same team in 2011 after the German driver was convicted for assaulting Genii Capital CEO Eric Lux in a bar in Shanghai following the 2011 Chinese Grand Prix. Sutil received an 18-month suspended prison sentence and had to pay a 200,000 Euro fine.

Sutil and Force India’s reserve driver Jules Bianchi diced for the last available 2013 Formula One race seat last week during testing in Barcelona, today it was announced Sutil will join Paul di Resta to complete Force India’s 2013 driver line-up.

Sutil, who drove for Force India since 2007, then known as the Spyker Formula One team, until 2011, does know the team very well and was of course pleased to make a return to the sport.

“I’m delighted to be back in Formula One, especially with a team I know so well. I’m very happy and I want to thank Sahara Force India for giving me a second chance. Having been away from the sport, I’m even more determined to achieve my goals in Formula One” said the 30-year old driver in a statement today.

Sutil back at Force India - Photo: Force India

Sutil back at Force India – Photo: Force India

About his test last week he said, “Things went really well at the Barcelona test last week and it almost feels as though I’ve never been away. Driving the car felt so natural and I was able to get back in the groove quickly and find the limit.” And he added, “Now my focus is on making the most of the final test session this week, working with the team in the simulator and getting myself in the best possible shape for Melbourne.”

Team owner Vijay Mallya acknowledged it had not been an easy decision. “The decision over our driver line-up has not been an easy one and we have given it great consideration over the last few months. It was a close call, but ultimately we felt that Adrian’s experience and historic links to the team gave him the edge, and will provide us with the best possible chance of realising our ambitions for the coming season,” said the Indian.

He’s also adamant Sutil is the right man for the job, “If he can rediscover the exceptional form he showed in the second half of 2011, I’m confident that we can pick up where we left off at the end of 2012. As for Jules Bianchi, he has impressed us enormously with his speed and work ethic, and I’m hopeful we can continue working with him this year to help him develop into a future Grand Prix driver.”

Sutil will be driving the Force India VJM06 on Saturday and Sunday this week during the last pre-season testing days at the circuit de Catalunya. The Formula One season will officially kick off on March 17 in Melbourne, Australia.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s